• Advanced 3D modeling, surfacing & rendering skills using Creo (Pro/E), Solidworks, Keyshot, Rhino, Flamingo.
• Tablet sketching and rendering using Sketchbook Pro and Procreate.
• Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design.
• Model-shop experience including paint finishing, laser cutting, molding and casting.
• Well versed in 3D printing: SLA and SLS
• Advanced fine arts & craft skills including painting, photography, machine sewing.
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR | INDUSTRIAL DESIGN CONSULTANT
September 2017 - Present
Quickly adapting as a cross functional team member within a variety of large organizations including Husqvarna group and InVue. Recent work includes:
- Designing thoughtful human-machine interfaces for outdoor power equipment.
- Developing refreshed brand design language for multiple consumer brands.
- Creating concept sketches, renderings and prototypes as part of a winning proposal for security devices.
EDISON NATION AND ENVENTYS PARTNERS | LEAD INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER
October 2014 - September 2017
Lead Industrial designer and program manager for the Edison Nation "As Seen on TV", Direct Response product division. Rapidly driving all facets of product development from early concept to market-ready items backed by national TV and digital campaigns.
- Executed innovative design and advanced prototyping of at least 12 consumer products per year.
- Named on over 5 US Patents.
- Simultaneously contributing design expertise to sister company, Enventys Partners, offering client-based product development services. Projects range from technical soft goods to smart devices.
INNOVATIVE KIDS & SUGAR LULU | LEAD INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER
September 2013 - September 2014, Norwalk, CT
United a small team of designers focused on creating high-end childrens’ wooden toys, books, lifestyle and jewelry products.
- Enforced brand consistency across all product lines.
- Propelled all new products from brainstorm sketches to mockups, to 3D renderings and final review of vendor samples.
- Championed the complete design, fabrication and setup of Sugar Lulu tradeshow booth at Toyfair 2014 - including signage, displays, product placement and custom flooring solution.
LAURA ABBOTT DESIGN, LLC. | OWNER + INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER
November 2007 - September 2013, Stamford, CT
Consistently selected by a wide range of industry-leading companies to contribute dependable industrial design expertise and creative skills.
- Executed detailed setup drawings for retail window installations at AT&T flagship store locations across the country. Trusted to oversee construction and shipping according to strict project timeline.
- Slashed time & costs for the Danbury Mint by generating photo-realistic renderings of high-end jewelry, providing a means to test market interest before manufacturing the items.
- Designed and developed all unique artwork for the Snuggie product lineup: silkscreen art as well as packaging graphics.
CONAIR CORPORATION | INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER
April 2006 - Jan 2008, Stamford, CT
Collaborated with engineering and marketing managers to translate customer insights into tangible design features integrated into the full spectrum of Conair’s product categories.
- Heavy focus on hair dryers, straighteners, men’s and women’s shavers, shower radios, lighted mirrors and bathroom scales.
- Examined cost parameters, target markets and demographics to produce captivating designs.
- Achieved “Inventor” status for the Conair “Pulse Massager” US Patent No. 20080154161
2005, Brooklyn, New York
Bachelor of Industrial Design, High Dean’s List & Presidential Merit Scholarship
DENMARK DESIGN SCHOOL
2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scandinavian Glass Design , Summer Immersion program
Achievement in Sustainable Design: The Pratt Institute, May 2005
Outstanding Achievement in Glass Design: Danish International Study, September 2005